Built on land once owned by The Knights Templar, The Temple Links, as the course was
first known, was designed in 1909 by Willie Park Junior. In 1901 he had designed two
nearby courses, Sunningdale and Huntercombe, and was the first to go into print on golf
course design. Captain G MacDonald (late Grenadier Guards) realised the potential in
'this 140 acres of the well known and beautiful Temple Park, situated on the right bank
of the Thames...' and formed a Company to run the new golf club.
During the early part of the twentieth century the greenkeeper's tools were sickles, scythes, forks and spades with fairway mowing equipment drawn by horses. The old stable still stands in the woods behind the 16th tee. Sheep grazed the hillsides. A local farmer cut and baled the hay and this encouraged an abundance of flora, including six different varieties of orchids.